Thursday, September 01, 2011

What goes up, must go slow.....


First things first, I am excited to say that I went ahead and picked the adorable Woman's Trek bike from the previous post.  I think I would have been disappointed if I didn't get it. So, I went ahead and made the leap.  Now, I get to wait for delivery...they are shipping it to me. Yippee! 

So now back to that crazy tittle of this post...

Yep, I think that is my motto when climbing hills on my bike. I seriously don't get it and I can honestly say I am super frustrated with my hill climbing.  Well, between you and me....I think I know what it is...but I don't know what I can do about it. I think it's my weight. It makes perfect sense,pulling all of this weight up a hill is going to slow me down, no matter now strong I am.

I feel like I'm doing everything right, I'm climbing, challenging myself with difficult hills. I am going to spin class to increase strength and endurance and I am seeing improvements on the flats, I can average (comfortably) a pace of 20 miles (once warmed up :o) but put me on a challenging hill and not only to I should like a freight train, but my speed slows to a snail, honestly and snail could probably pass me!

I had a really great ride tonight, and feel I did pretty good, except for that hill.  So, on Saturday, I'm going to do the exact same ride and see how I do.  The only thing I can think of (and I read this in an article somewhere) is to pick a challenging hill and do it over and over and over again until it's not only doable but easy.  Supposedly this is supposed to help wiht hill climbing.  I feel like I've done everything else (except lose weight, which I've tried...but no luck) so I am going to climb, climb, climb that challenging hill and see what that does for me.

If that doesn't work...well...I guess I will just rock the flats and have my friends take a break and wait for me at the top of this hills. It will still be fun, right? :o/


1 comment:

  1. I know this won't help, but I can certainly identify. But, since I'm easily twice your size, you can only imagine my frustration level. This entire summer I've tried to climb the local hills almost daily and it never seems to get easier, nor do I get faster climbing them. I think I've decided that I just don't care. I will go at my pace, and if someday I'm faster, so be it... but, that's just me, and I can completely understand wanting to get faster. Maybe you're not resting enough in between climbing days? I know that sometimes if I don't ride for a day, it seems to make somewhat a difference (though you obviously know from first hand experience, I'm no hill climber). Keep at it woman! I think you're doing great. :o)

    ReplyDelete