Saturday, September 03, 2011

Back to the scene of the climb...hill climb that is


So, as reported on my last entry, I promised to tackle that hill climb that we did last Thursday a few more times to see if it would get easier and I would become more efficient. Today was day 1 of fulfilling that promise to myself.

I had volunteered to valet park bikes at the farmers market this afternoon from 11 AM to 2 PM.  So, I needed to get this challenge done before then. I actually ended up oversleeping a little and woke up about when I was supposed to leave, oops! At first I was starting to talk myself out of it. But, then I said, naw...you really need to do this. Put your bike clothes on before you wake up too much and realize what you're done. Ha! Success, bike clothes on before I was completely awake and couldn't change my mind. Next, only one thing do...tackle this blasted hill.

I am happy to report that I successfully climbed the hill. What is a success you ask? I climbed it without thinking I was going to have a heart attack. I did manage to still go slow, I think at one time I looked down and my speed was 4.5, but I did it...I made it...and well, it was almost pleasant. Okay, I wouldn't go that far...I'll just stick with the I didn't feel impending cardiac arrest starting to set in. I'm proud to say my heart stayed (semi-comfortably) lodged in my chest.  I snapped a pic on my way down (yes I was stopped) you don't really get the full impact, but it was sure fun riding down that crazy hill I just conquered! :o)

Here is the view of the mountains near the top of the hill:

And here is the view down the hill I'd just climbed...you can see it, but I an promise you that the ascent goes on for miles...and miles...and miles. ;o) Okay, only bout 8 miles..but that's miles and miles, right?


The other good news, is that I finished the ride and still felt like I had enough energy to help out at the farmers market for 3 hours, running around parking bikes. 
The bad news is, I am a pretty tired girl right now and am wondering how I will do on my ride tomorrow. 

Oh, my ride, I didn't tell you guys about that.  I am riding 50 miles, a pretty difficult hill climb.  The one above is a 7% grade, the one tomorrow is 11.5% grade. Yikes! The good news is that it's only 50 miles (the ride, not the climb) but still....I am a little worried I will lag behind and keep everyone from going as fast as they want.  But, I've already decided that I am going to tell them to go ahead if I lag behind, I know they area fairly well and can find my way home.  I am certainly not going to race.

In other news, I got to park a bike identical to my new bike at the market today. :o) It is so freakin' adorable!! I got a chance to talk to the owner and she was gushing about it and said she LOVED it!! She also said the bike was great on hills (which I was worried about, cruisers are typically horrible on hills with their limited gearing).  But, she said the gearing was great. Yay!! Now, it just needs to get here!! Grrrrr. 



1 comment:

  1. Yay for conquering the hills! :o) I'm sure you'll have a blast tomorrow on the ride, so no worries. Sadly, I won't be able to join you all as I seem to be even worse off than I was Friday night. I'm not normally sick, and when I do get sick, it's usually over in a day or two, so this has really kicked my butt. I'll be keeping good thoughts for you to have lots of energy and conquer the hills. Have fun!! :o)

    ReplyDelete