Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Off to CA to the Waves to Wine, Bike MS150 Ride! :o)

Wow!! I can't believe it's finally here...well...almost.

First I have to apologize for neglecting this journal.  I have been so busy training and getting ready for the trip I haven't had much time to actually sit down and reflect all I have been through and what I am about to go through.

Tomorrow at 4 AM Ruby will get placed on her brand new bike rack, purchased just for this trip, my husband and I will sleepily hop in to the car...stop for a cup of joe so we can find our way out of town and start our 18 hour journey to California. Wow. 

My last few training rides have been going good. I did suffer a minor knee injury that has been causing problems and affecting my training, but I rested last night and feel it's definitely on the mend) I feel I have done all I can do to prepare for next weeks challenge. I have this crazy desire to really rock it in CA. I would love to ride fast and have it be easy.  I know that's asking a lot and know it's probably not realistic.  But, it is what my heart desires.  We shall see.

Okay, I'll confess I want to ride faster than my brother-in-law who is an ex-marine, star athlete, marathoner and triathlete.  I feel he has always looked down on me because of my "extra" weight and I would love to just really show him! :o)  There, I said it and I fully understand it is both unrealistic and just plain silly.  But a girl can dream, right?

This weekend I rode 75 miles, I didn't quite get to the elevation gain of the actual ride of day one next weekend. I will confess it was a tough ride for me.  For some reason I never really found my "zone" I tried, but I just never found it and the ride was never easy or enjoyable for me. When I finished the ride my confidence was pretty shot and I was starting to think next weekend might be a nightmare. The fast girl who was going to ride circles around her competition was nowhere to be found.  Up until this last weekend I was actually starting to feel like an athlete, dear I say endurance athlete. But, after this weekend I felt like anything but.

Tonight was completely different for me.  I went out for a 25 mile quick paced ride with the local bike group.  I found the ride to be very Zen for me.  It was like a meditation and helped me to regain my confidence. During the whole ride I was checking in, do I feel pain, nope I feel great. Do I feel tired, nope, I have lots of energy even after working all day...I can do this. Do I feel that feeling of hopelessness, nope, I a full of hope and confidence.

I might actually be ready to do this! Wow, feels great!

Tonight was exactly what I needed for next weekend. I have heard that an endurance event is 90% mental, well...I feel I am 100% mentally ready. I can and will do it.

Well,there it is. I am going to try and enjoy the ride and the experience and the scenery....I really will.  Honestly, I will be proud of myself for doing two MS150's in one year.



Well I'm Off to CA, wish me luck and I will be back to give a full report.

4 comments:

  1. You seem prepped for this ride, and I hope that it's even better than you think it will be. I'm definitely sending positive energy and thought vibes to you and will anxiously await your report when you return. Enjoy your time away! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will do great. Marines are all talk, smoke him...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I hope your second MS150 last year was an awesome success.

    I found you via Endless Velo Love as I was noodling around the web trying to decide if I'm going to do the Venus de Miles again this year, and if I do, if I'm going to up my goal to the 51 mile ride.

    I'm a fellow Longmontian (not sure if that's the right word, but I like it better than "Longmonter"), fellow MS person, fellow athlete (and now I'm not like "fellow" at all, because I'm also a fellow woman), fellow successful loser-of-weight...

    I hope you'll find the time to update the blog as I've appreciated reading about all your efforts and successes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and I'm so sorry for not seeing this until today! :o( That's what I get for neglecting my journal for so long. I'm excited you found me and am looking forward to checking out your blog! Take Care!! Joey

      Delete