Monday, September 05, 2011

Hey! Why are you riding so much? Oh, I'm training...wanna see my plan?

During several group rides, I've told my riding-mates that I am following a training plan to prepare for the MS150 and thought I'd share it with all of you.  It has been SUPER helpful in getting me ready for both of the MS150's this year.  While I will admit that it is A LOT of riding and when I'm at the stage I'm at now, it tends to feel I am constantly on my bike.  It really does help to prepare you for the magnitude, length and give you the endurance needed to complete the event semi-comfortably. I say semi-comfortably because it does take effort, and my definition of comfortable is more like lounging on my couch with my pup cuddling next to me while I'm watching a great chick-flick. Riding 150 miles in two days is not that, but it's an different kind of great. :o)

Okay, here is the plan, if you're interested: 

"1) Take a rest day—here it is on Thursday, but you can adjust to meet your personal schedule. 2) Try to ride most days of the week - especially getting closer to the ride date. 3) Don’t increase your weekly total more than 10-12%. To do so risks injury. 4) “EASY” means relax. This is a recovery period for your body. 5) “BRISK” means 2-3 miles per hour faster than your target speed for the ride 6) “PACE” means your target speed for the day of the MS150 7) The big mileage days on Saturday are critical to the program. It doesn’t have to be on Saturday, but they should be more than 4 days apart, and once a week. Program to help you ''comfortably' complete the MS150" More from the blog: http://teampwcms150.blogspot.com/2007/02/training-schedule.html
Please note that I found the training schedule here: http://teampwcms150.blogspot.com/2007/02/training-schedule.html
I just finished week 8 and am embarking on week 9. I have actually deviated from this schedule quite a bit, changing the mileage to fit my schedule (adding mostly or incorporating a spin class).  You'll see that I was supposed to ride 65 miles on Saturday, but rode 25, making Sunday my big day ride, 50 miles, and 50 miles today instead of the suggested 15. I am finding that it's pretty easy and takes little effort to complete a 50 mile ride, so I'm hoping that jumping to a 75 mile ride in a little less than two weeks will be easy as well. 

I am trying really hard during this training schedule to not feel so run down.  I felt really run down when I trained for the first MS150, but to be honest...I don't think I rode as much, rode alone mostly (endurance sports is mostly psychological, so spending hours upon hours alone can take a toll). But most of all, and this I think is the key, I hardly did ANY hill training.  As you know from my frustrating blog entries, I've done TONS of hill training this time around, I think that will not only help during the actual event with the hill climbing, I think it will help with my endurance as well (at least I hope it will).

I think I can feel myself getting to be a better and stronger rider, but still do not feel like I'm ready for the big event weekend.  I am going to try and ride 100 miles this weekend, I'm hoping that will give me to confidence to know I am ready.  (fingers crossed)

I will be back later to report about how this weekend's rides went, for the most part I think they went well.  I will be back with details.

No comments:

Post a Comment