Friday, February 22, 2013

The Big Day....Surgery or no Surgery....that is the question


I have been looking forward to and dreading today since I found out on Monday night that I had broken my leg.  Almost immediately after telling me I had broken it, they said in less than a week you need to see a surgeon and find out what your next steps are.  Ug..  Honestly, from the amount of pain and bruising I was having, I was starting to fear the worst.

So, today at 2:30 I sat in the surgeons office waiting to find out pretty much what the next couple of months were going to be like for me.  Lucky for me (and probably everyone around me) the doctor came into the office pulled up the x-rays and smiled and nodded.  He looked at me and said, "hmmm, well if you are going to break your leg, this is the best way to do it.  The break is in the perfect spot for quick healing and minimum medical intervention.  You will not need surgery and all I am going to recommend is a removable boot cast and non-weight bearing for 6 to 8 weeks and see what happens" Yay!!!! Soooo relieved.  I was so relieved the next question kinda scared him.  I then told him that I wanted to ride the MS150 and wanted to start training ASAP, so how soon could I get back on a bike.  According to my husband he looked at me like I was out of my mind (um, given) and then said, when is it? June 28th...hmm....probably not.  Let's play it by ear but it will probably be months before you can ride and even then it will not be a significant distance. :o(  Sooooo very sad.  I am still going to keep hoping that I will be able ride at least some of the MS150....but it's not looking good and that makes me really, really sad.  I had so many plans for this riding season.  I was even thinking about joining a local beginning crit (racing) team and helping to get other women to join...now...I just don't know.  I personally like my friend Sam's idea and strap a clip on my boot and ride anyway!! :o)  Or, go to spin and just ride with one leg.  I can surely do that!! Right?   Although, now that I just have a removable boot, maybe I can swim?  I wonder if the kicking would aggravate it?

Oh well, I'm sure I'll figure something out and it could have been MUCH worse.  So that's what I have to keep in mind.  The good news is that Robb's dad is going to ride with Robb so he won't be riding alone.

So there you have it, really good news. I am definitely on the road to recovery. :)

Updating to add a picture of my new footwear:

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:06 AM

    You could try out handcycling...

    I'm glad to hear you won't need surgery. Don't do anything stupid, now (like, you know, getting on a bike weeks before you're supposed to).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is not such a bad idea. It would be a good way to still get out on a bike without risking hurting myself or prolongmong recovery time. Hmm....maybe I can find a good used handcycle on craigslist. Thanks for the idea!! :o) Now off to shop!

      Delete