Sunday, November 25, 2012

A little more about my upconing travels


I am going to take a slight detour from my usual ramblings about bikes,  fitness and weight struggles to talk about one of the other reasons I have recently resurrected this journal and to talk about some of the other loves/hobbies in my life. Travel and Technology.

I am about to take a trip of a lifetime.  Well, a trip of my lifetime, your individual mileage may vary. In mid-December I will be travelling to Europe along with my travelling companions (my husband and his parents).  This trip was actually arranged on a dare, or a plan to see what his father and I could get away with. Here's how it happened.  In July my husband's mother turned 70, and I decided it would be really cool to plan a family reunion of sorts for her birthday.   Because I can't seem to do anything half way (more about that later) by the time July came around we had rented a beach house on the coast of CA and my husbands brother, his entire family and my brother and his entire family had joined us for her birthday celebration.  a whopping 14 of us had gathered at that house for the weekend and many wonderful memories were made. As someone who has a very small family and since both my parents are gone, family reunions just don't happen, this trip was a dream come true not only for my MIL, but for myself as well.  Below is one of my favorite pictures taken that weekend, even our super amazing dog got to join us for the celebration.  Below is my husband, Gunner and my nieces and nephews playing on the beach:


The reason I told you that story is because that trip was the birth of this trip.  One day as my FIL and I were watching the sun fall into the ocean and commenting on how this trip was so wonderful and how thankful we were.  He threw something out there that I just couldn't ignore. He said, "you know what I've always wanted to do?" "What?", I said. "I've always wanted to do one of those Germany Christmas Market River Cruises", he said. "hmm, really? Well, why don't we do it? I would LOVE to do that" I said. We both continued to stare into the sunset deep in thought and then the next statement actually put things into motion. "I'll tell you what, why don't you mention it to R. and I'll mention it to mom and see what happens.  If they don't object....then let's start planning".  I agreed, thinking there was no way mom would ever agree to it. But, she yes, not only did she say yes but she wanted to start planning right away.  Um, okay...so I guess we were going to do this.  Wow. Europe in December. I've never been to Europe.  I have always dreamed of going....and now I am going. Wow. Not only that but I get to go with my husband and his parents...so of my most favorite people in the world.

As we have planned this trip, which pretty much started in July after we got home the trip has changed a lot from what we first imagined and par for the course for me....the trip has gotten bigger, longer and more elaborate. So here is what the trip looks like now.

We fly into Vienna, Austria mid-December.  We're renting a car rather than taking an organized tour on the Danube to allow us more time and flexibility to stop where we want to stop and see more for less. Since there will be 4 of us, and R's parents are experienced European travelers we decided this would be the best bet.  Back to the list of cities we are going to stop in, well at least planning on now:

Fly into Vienna, Austria.  Then head to Hallstatt, then to Salzburg, then to Munich, then to Rothenburg, then to Frankfurt and then we take a train to Paris. We will probably travel to other cities but those are the planned ones. 

Google Maps

We picked those because of the Christmas markets in each city. I have heard that visiting the Christmas markets is something to see. I love all things Christmas and the magic of the season.  I'm not particularly religious....I just love the lights, the magic, the kindness the overwhelms everyone (even scrooge) during the season.  I just can't wait.  If you're interested or want to see what the markets are all about, check out this website.   http://www.germany-christmas-market.org.uk/  Think of the Christmas Markets as mini festivals that each town holds to not only sell Christmas trinkets but also sell hot spiced wine, there are also carolers and street performers. Here is the wiki page that does a much better job describing than I do: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_market  We have planned the trip in such a way that we are staying in a medieval walled city that was virtually untouched over the centuries and dates back to 1172.  It is an out of the way town, not as frequented by tourists, which is what we wanted. The Inn we are staying in dates back to the 16th century.  Here is a picture of the town. I can't wait to see it in person. Doesn't it look like a fairytale...not even real.




photos courtesy of: http://ourgermanyadventures.blogspot.com/

Once we leave Germany on a train destined for Paris, France.  We have actually rented a flat in Paris for a week.  We are staying the famed Rue De Cler neighborhood to have a more comfortable base and to feel more like a Parisian for the week.  This neighborhood is located at the base of the Eiffel Tower and outdoor markets and cafes are abundant.  From all of my research, if you are going to experience Paris, Rue De Cler is the place to do it.  Also, our flat has a view of the Eiffel Tower, so we can see all of lights and the nightly light show from our window sipping wine or espresso fresh from the market below.  Also, we are spending New Year's Eve in Paris. Ah, I can't wait...I imagine it will be quite the night...and quite the trip of a lifetime!


Google Maps

No comments:

Post a Comment