Saturday, August 27, 2011

Still riding like a crazy fool!

Hi everyone!

So, I know I promised that I would write more...and I didn't.  Bad me! I have a lot going in in the next couple of weeks and well, I guess that's why I'm here writing to you again. :o)

I have been training (to be honest not as much as I should be) for the MS150 that will happen in just a few weeks on September 17th and 18th.  DH's dad and brother will be joining me for this ride and well, I'm super nervous that I won't be able to do it.

I guess if I'm going to be really honest...right now I'm just not super confident in my cycling ability. I went for a ride on Tuesday and it was HARD, really, really hard for me and it was only 20 miles. I felt like my legs were mush all of the muscle was on vacation somewhere (probably really nice) but definitely no with me helping me out during that ride. I almost quit.  Really!? During a 20 mile ride?  If I had that much problem during a 20 mile ride, what will I feel like during a 75 mile ride?

I think what is getting me, is that I thought I was pretty well prepared, until that ride.

So I am trying to think what could have possibly gone wrong.  What made me feel that way.  Could I be OVER training? I did go to a really hard spin class the day before that shredded my legs, but I thought I had recovered.

My current training plan is, Monday, Spin, Tuesday, Fast ride, Wednesday, Spin, Thursday, rest, Friday, easier 15 mile ride, Saturday, long ride 60+ miles, Sunday, shorter ride 15-20 miles. Repeat until the event.

I have skipped some days.  Like last week I didn't do the long ride, this week, I skipped Fridays ride. But for the most part I am getting at least 100+ miles in each week.  So I should be getting in better shape. But I don't seem to be.

It's crushing to my spirit because it makes me feel like I will always be that fat girl, and not the athlete I want to me.  I feel I should be.  I feel I am.

So this brings me to tomorrow. I am riding in the Venus De Miles, which is Colorado's only all women bike event. There are 4 different distances you can choose from, Century, 67 miles, 51 miles or 33 miles.  I had initially signed up for the century back in March thinking I would be more than ready for it with all of the riding for the MS150.  But, well, life and fatigue got in the way and now I am doing the 67 mile ride instead. To be honest, the 67 mile ride is almost as challenging as the 100 mile ride with a 3000 foot elevation gain (all in 8 miles) so I don't feel like too much of a wimp for dropping my mileage for the ride.

But I do still feel scared.  What if I suffer, what if I am not prepared and can't do it.  What if I break down, or bonk during the ride. I want so badly to look at my GPS at the end of the ride, see the 67 miles and feel that immense feeling of pride because I pushed myself WAY out of my comfort zone and completed a challenging ride. Um, successfully completed a challenging ride.  I mean, I know it's not going to be easy....I just don't want it to be impossible.

I have to confess that I am tempted to drop down to the 51 mile ride, this would be easier for me and I know it is doable. But, would I be proud for completing it? Probably not. Will I feel like a slouch for not pushing myself? Probably.

So, I will ride 67 miles tomorrow.  I will climb that torturous Left Hand Canyon to Jamestown and feel that immense sense of accomplishment. Right? I won't die. Plus, there will be LOTS of women riding right along side me, hopefully helping to keep me motivated and distracted from the pain in my legs, the tinge in my back or the strain of my lungs.

One thing I am looking forward to is the downhill, 3000 miles of twisty turny downhill canyon roads....so much fun! I've climbed this climb before and survived.  I did it just three weeks ago....so I can do it again.

I think what is worrying me is that I will be 30 miles into the ride when I start the Jamestown assent. I am hoping my legs will still be fresh and able to do that. Oh, did I mention 30 miles of rollers? Yep, fun times!!

I will be back tomorrow to let you all know how it goes...I hope I will be able to post my time and let you know it wasn't as hard or challenging as I thought it was.

Wish me luck!!

Roo




No comments:

Post a Comment